Reviews on our favorite and newest teen and tween books!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Princess and the Cokyri

Legacy (Legacy, #1) by Cayla Kluver

Request This Title!
YA Fantasy
Published: June 2011

Once upon a time, there was a kingdom called Hytanica. The people of Hytanica were of a peaceful nature, but that peace was disrupted when the evil sorcerers of Cokyri waged war with them. Forty-nine newborn boys were kidnapped from Hytanica, and forty-eight lifeless children were returned. Just as suddenly as war began with Cokyri, so did it end.

Sixteen years later, Hytanica is prospering. Enter Princess Alera, heir to the throne of Hytanica. Alera is nearing her seventeenth birthday and must choose a husband to take over the throne when her father steps down. Though it is technically her choice who she marries, the king has made it known that he wishes Alera to marry Steldor, a handsome though pompous man who sets Alera on edge. This is bad enough without the threat of another war with the Cokyri, and when Alera meets Narian, a mysterious stranger, and falls in love with him, trouble ensues.  

I received Legacy as and ARC from NetGalley. I’m not going to lie, I really wanted to like this book, and in the end, I really didn’t. I really don’t like giving bad reviews, but I just couldn’t get into this one even though the cover was so pretty and the prologue captured my interest. Unfortunately, the book dragged on from there. Taking into account the author’s age when she wrote Legacy (she was just 14), I would say this book was a good first start. Ignoring Kluver’s age, I would say it needed a lot of work. The protagonist, Princess Alera, is immature, and though she was a feisty heroine, she often acted out irrationally causing herself and others to land in some very hot water. In truth, the only character I really enjoyed was London, her bodyguard, who wasn’t even in the whole book. I also found the language to be unbelievable. It was very flowery, stilted and overly descriptive. Kluver is a strong and imaginative writer, and I think that as she matures so will her writing.

--Posted by Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment